A confirmed jailbreak (iOS 5.0.1) on iPhone is out. Here’s how to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone, iPad and iPod. This is a tethered jailbreak though, and you’d need to have upgraded your device to the latest iOS – 5.0.1.
Apple just recently released iOS 5.0.1. This update came right after the battery bug – and they seem to have fixed it. (Although latest reports suggest a mixed user reaction on Apple forums. Some people are saying the battery issues have become worse after the update!)
Anyway, if you would like to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone iPod or iPad, here’s a simple way of getting it done via the most popular jailbreak software out there – redsn0w.
These are some things you should remember first:
This jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 works on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad and iPod Touch only. iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are not supported.
The jailbreak is tethered which means you need to connect your iPhone / iDevice to the system and run the software every time you reboot your iDevice.
Users who want to wait for the untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0 as promised by Chronic Dev Team member @pod2g recently are advised not to upgrade their device to iOS 5.0.1. In that case, you’ll have to wait till the untethered jailbreak appears.
Okay, so let’s get started with the steps.
How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on iPad, iPod and iPhone
- Step One: Download these files: Redsn0w – The correct iOS 5.0 firmware IPSW for your device
- Step Two: After you have all these, you just install redsn0w on your Windows or Mac.
- Step Three: Download and install the latest version of iTunes too, if you haven’t got it already.
After that, backup your device in iTunes. This is just for a precaution.
- Step Four: Upgrade your device to iOS 5.0.1 – if you haven’t already done that.
- Step Five: Now run Redsn0w. In the options provided, choose “Extra”
- Step Six: Now choose, “Select IPSW” – and select the IPSW file you downloaded in the first step.
- Step Seven: Now click “Jailbreak” – and select “Install Cydia” because we’ll need Cydia obviously to download many jailbreak apps!
- Step Eight: This is where you bring in the device. Switch OFF your device and connect it to your system.
- Step Nine: After you have done that, the redsn0w software will guide you through the process of entering the iDevice into DFU mode. Here’s a small tutorial though, to enter your iDevice into the DFU mode easily:
- First, hold the power button till the slider to switch off appears. Slide to switch off the iDevice.
- Second, press the power button and after a second, while still holding the power button pressed, press the Home button.
- Third, after about 10 seconds or so, release the power button alone. Don’t release the home button yet.
- Fourth, after about 15 seconds of holding the Home button alone (after the third step), release the Home button too – and your iDevice will be in the DFU mode.
- Step Ten: That’s it. Redsn0w would have jailbroken your iPhone.
In order to complete the process, you should boot tethered. Just run Redsn0w with your powered-off iDevice connected. On the screen, click “Extras” and then “Just boot.” That should do it!