» Nasty Bug in iOS 5.0.1 OTA Update screws up Address Book on the iPhone 4S
I updated my iPhone 4S earlier today (using the OTA method), and I discovered a nasty bug. My iPhone could no longer remember the names of any of my contacts! I opened up the contacts app on my phone and discovered that all of entries were still there but if I got a text or a call my iPhone would have a sudden bout of amnesia and forget the contacts name.
It’s even more bizarre when you’re trying to create a new text. In the example above I texted Erin Hontz. After I selected her as the contact, I wrote my message and hit send. In the message pane (pictured on the right) it would forget my contact’s name and just show the number.
I mentioned this on Twitter and many of my followers had similar experiences.
How to trigger the bug:
• Use the Delta Update (The OTA version)
• Be on an iPhone 4S (I haven’t had reports with the 4)
• Be On Verizon
Disabling (and re-enabling) iCloud contacts did not solve the issue.
Have you had any issues upgrading to iOS 5.0.1?
Update: Here is a partial fix
This method fixed my incoming calls but not incoming text messages. Your milage may vary. via TSF reader James Foster
1) Open the Phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.
2) When the system answer press 1 for “Program or activate your phone”
3) Wait for the call to disconnect. You should get a prompt stating something like, “Settings updated.”
4) Open the Task Manager (double click the home button) and kill the Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications
5) Wait a few minutes (I waited 3 just to be extra safe)
6) Open the Message App to verify the fix.
If you are still broken, kill the Message App again, then reboot your phone.
Related for Nasty Bug in iOS 5.0.1 OTA Update screws up Address Book on the iPhone 4S :